So we’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award! I have to say, when we were first told I didn’t actually know what the award was. After a little research online, we’ve discovered that the Liebster Award is pretty damn cool! It’s a virtual award given to up-and-coming blogs by other bloggers. Not only is it a great way to encourage us newbies and show appreciation, it’s also awesome for getting to know some of the other amazing sites online.
The Veggie Vagabonds was nominated by Kevin at Kevin’s Travel Diary. Hotel Manager by day and world explorer by night, Kevin has travelled extensively and his website is a great place to read about his adventures around Africa and plan your own trip! It was particularly interesting to read about his Zambian safari experience!
We’re both extremely happy to have been nominated and given the award. It’s inspiring and uplifting to know that our website is being seen and appreciated (especially as we’re in the first week of opening the website!).
Our Favourite Blog – Lost With Purpose
You know, one of the best things about blogging is getting to know other great blogs out there. Lost With Purpose is definitely one of those! We’ve been using the site to plan our next overland trip towards India. Every article is on point, incredibly informative and enjoyable to read. No only that but it’s complimented by some amazing photography. I particularly love that they are breaking stereotypes and opinions by travelling many lesser travelled destinations!
Questions, Questions, Questions
Okay, on to Kevin’s questions for us!
1) Where was your last destination?
Our last destination was Portugal. On a much shorter trip then our usual multi-year wanderings, we spent a few weeks discovering their vegan cuisine (or lack of) and hiking. It was an INCREDIBLE journey and we were lucky to have perfect weather considering we visited in October! We made our way from Lisbon to the Northern Border of Spain and then back to Porto. The highlight was definitely hiking in Peneda-Gerês National Park; the mountains are pristine and the hikes are limitless. We had to rush back down the mountain side when we got cut off by a forest fire! Check out the article here!
2) Where is your next destination?
We’re planning a long overland journey towards India. As we want to promote sustainable travel we won’t be flying! So I guess our first destination after the UK will be Calais, France.
3) How often do you travel?
We’ve just returned to England after being away for 18 months. We have a few small trips planned but at the moment we are taking the time to work on the blog and plan our next epic adventure. England to India overland. Obviously we are also in major saving mode, so we are both working pretty hard with our other jobs too. We both dream of being able to vagabond continuously and document our adventures!
4) In one sentence describe what travel means to you?
Travel is the opportunity to explore new places, cultures and cuisines with the person standing next to you and whatever is in your bag.
5) What is the shortest trip you have taken away from your home country?
Earlier this year we spent a weekend camping in Wales and climbed Mt. Snowdon. That was about 2.5 days which is probably our shortest trip abroad.
6) What is top of your bucket list?
We can’t wait for our overland journey towards India. My family are from Iran so it will also be amazing to visit them along the way. So I guess our next big trip is the top of the bucket list. Sarah also really wants to do her PADI to start scuba diving!
7) Your remedy for feeling lonely on a trip?
Talk to people and immerse yourself in the culture. I think technology is great but a lot of travellers are so consumed by their gadgets they forget what’s happening around them. PUT THE ELECTRONICS DOWN! Ha, but really I think it’s important to remember that most travellers are in the same situation, say hello, start a conversation and make a friend!
8) Are there any trips you have regretted?
Although it was an interesting experience, travelling Java during Eid al-Fitr was a logistical nightmare. Every road on the island had near stand still traffic for 2 weeks and it was very difficult to book transport/accommodation.
9) The one place I must visit before I die (convince me 🙂 )
Eastern Panama, hands down as It’s completely wild and unexplored. The coastline is dotted with treasure islands and the land is lived in my indigenous tribes, birds of paradise and covered by dense jungle. The government does a lot of work keeping tourist levels low which protects the local communities and the wildlife. It’s one of the most beautiful and fascinating places I’ve ever been lucky enough to visit.
10) According to you what is the one thing I should do or keep in mind when travelling?
Remember that we are lucky to be visiting these incredible places around the world and that we must be respectful. Sustainable travel is the way forward 🙂
The Great Blogs I Nominate For The Award
We really loved reading through all of the nominees but these five blogs stood out the most. Some stood out for their slick website design, some for their amazing content and some because we just thought they were pretty darn cool. Congratulation to all of them, make sure you check out their pages, show them love and support! Therefore, with no further ado, our nominees;
Our questions for you incredible bloggers
- Items you can’t travel without (3 max)
- Greatest travelling experience (person you’ve met, wildlife encounter etc)
- What do you think you need to consider when travelling?
- What do you think are the benefits of a vegan lifestyle?
- Favourite meal you’ve had abroad?
- Top tip for first time travel?
- What’s the first thing you do when you get home after a long period abroad?
- If you ruled the world, what would you change?
- What is the ethos behind your blog?
- If you could you could pick 3 songs as the soundtrack to your life, what would they be?
Liebster Award Rules
As we are passing the buck over to you, here are the rules of the award;
- Thank the person who nominated you and post a link to their blog on your blog.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it somewhere on your blog.
- Write a 150-300 word post about your favourite blog (that is not your own). Explain why you like the blog and provide links.
- Respond to the questions provided by the blogger who nominated you for the award.
- Nominate 5-11 travel blogs that you feel deserve the award.
- Ask nominees 10 questions you would like them to answer on.
- List these rules in your post.
- Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post.
So now you know!
What did you guys think of the blogs we picked, pretty cool right? If there are any up-and-coming blogs YOU think are great, let us know in the comments box!