There are only a few things in the world we love more than curry. Do you know what is great with curry (apart from more curry?) our vegan garlic flatbreads of course! Unlike many bread recipes these flatbreads are super simple! Perfect for dipping, mopping and scooping at your hearts content!
This recipe uses easily sourced ingredients plus a new one for me – aquafaba. When I first saw this on ingredients lists I was baffled as to what on earth it was! It is in fact the starchy liquid from a can of chickpeas and is great at making things fluffy. So I incorporated it into this recipe to fluff up the flatbreads and it worked perfectly. (I don’t know who called it aquafaba but it’s not very informative if you ask me).
When it comes to seasoning these flatbreads I’m pretty relaxed with measurements and if you’re like me adopting the ‘throw it all together and hope for the best approach’, then this recipe is for you. When seasoning I used garlic, parsley, coriander and garnished with sesame seeds, however you can freestyle with whatever herbs or seeds you like, adding garlic to taste or omitting if you’re wanting to avoid garlic scented breath…
These vegan garlic flatbreads are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, making them the perfect accompaniment for any saucy business! We love them with curry but you could top them with veggies for a lighter meal, or dip them in hummus for a tasty snack – the possibilities are endless! So give this recipe a go and let us know what you like them with, #veggievagabonds on social media so we can see your culinary creations.
Vegan Garlic Flatbread Recipe
140g of plain flour
1 ½ tsp of baking powder
½ tsp of garlic granules
2 tsp of oil
2 ½ tbsp of almond milk (or any plant based milk)
3 tbsp of aquafaba (the starchy water from a tin of chickpeas)
½ – 1 tsp of lemon juice
A pinch of sugar
3 cloves of garlic chopped in to small pieces
3 tbsp of fresh or dried herbs (I used coriander and parsley but use whatever you fancy)
Optional butter topping:
A big knob of vegan butter (enough to brush on top of your flatbreads)
1 – 2 cloves of garlic
1 – 2 tbsp of fresh or dried herbs
1. Whisk all the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder and garlic granules until combined.
2. In a separate bowl mix the milk with the lemon juice, then add to the dry mixture.
3. Add the aquafaba (chickpea water), oil and sugar to the bowl, mix well.
4. Knead for 1 minute and the result should be a sticky dough-like mixture. Add flour or milk to achieve desired consistency.
5.Cover the bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
6. Preheat pan to a low heat and add oil.
7. On a floured surface, roll out the mixture in to 3 parts.
8. Once rolled press in the chopped pieces of garlic and sprinkle with seeds and herbs.
9. Add the flatbreads to the pan and place a lid on top of the flatbreads (in order to do this the lid with need to be smaller than the pan).
10. Once slightly browned flip and cook on the other side.
Optional butter topping (but obligatory if you want full on tastiness):
11. In a pan on a low heat melt the butter then stir in then crushed garlic and herbs.
12. Once melted brush the mixture on the flatbreads before serving.
13. If serving later omit topping with the butter mixture. Instead top with the butter mixture then heat the flatbreads in the oven on a low heat for 7 minutes.
What do you think of this recipe? What did you serve with your garlic flatbreads? Let us know in the comments below and tag us #veggievagabonds on social media! Big Love!