There are few things in the world we love more than curry and do you know what is great with curry? Apart from more curry, it’s our vegan garlic flatbreads of course! Unlike many bread recipes these flatbreads are super simple! Perfect for dipping, mopping and scooping at your hearts content!
This recipe uses easily sourced ingredients plus a new one for me – aquafaba. When I first saw this on ingredients lists I was baffled as to what on earth it was! It is in fact the starchy liquid from a can of chickpeas and is great at making things fluffy. I incorporated it into this recipe to fluff up the flatbreads and it worked perfectly. (I don’t know who called it aquafaba but it’s not very informative if you ask me).
When seasoning I used garlic, parsley, coriander and garnished with sesame seeds, however you can freestyle with the herbs and seeds to make this recipe more convenient to what you have in your cupboards. Although I highly recommend this combination for optimum flatbread heaven. I love garlic and these flatbreads satisfy my desire with undertones of flavour in the dough, plus chucks pressed in to the bread for the occasional mouthful of garlic bliss.
When preparing these flatbreads patients is key as is the case with most bread recipes. These vegan garlic flatbreads are an easy and simple alternative to the majority of bread recipes out there but the key element that remains the same is that you can’t rush perfection. When cooking these flatreads it’s important to do so on a low heat so they gradually brown and the dough cooks through. Rushing this process will result in a burnt or underdone catastrophe. Using a non stick pan will also allow optimal cooking excellence as the dough won’t stick to the pan and you can achieve that superb brown crust on your flatbreads.
These vegan garlic flatbreads are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, making them the perfect accompaniment for any saucy business! We love them with curry but you could top them with veggies for a lighter meal, or dip them in hummus for a tasty snack – the possibilities are endless! So give this recipe a go and let us know what you enjoy them with. As always tag us with the #veggievagabonds on social media so we can see your culinary creations.
Vegan Garlic Flatbread Recipe
- Serves: 3 flatbreads
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
140 grams of plain flour
1 ½ teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of garlic granules
2 teaspoons of oil – I used coconut as I always do
2 ½ tablespoon of almond milk (or any plant based milk)
3 tablespoon of aquafaba (the starchy water from a tin of chickpeas)
¾ teaspoon of lemon juice
A pinch of sugar
3 cloves of garlic chopped in to small pieces
3 tablespoons of fresh or dried coriander and parsley
4 tablespoons of sesame seeds
Optional butter topping:
A big knob of vegan butter, roughly 2 heaped tablespoons (enough to brush on top of your flatbreads)
1 – 2 cloves of garlic
1 – 2 tbsp of fresh or dried coriander and parsley
1. Whisk all the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder and garlic granules until fully combined.
2. In a separate bowl mix the milk with the lemon juice, then add to the dry mixture.
3. Add the aquafaba (chickpea water), coconut oil and sugar to the bowl, mix well.
4. Knead for 1 minute and the result should be a sticky dough-like mixture. Add flour or milk to achieve desired consistency.
5.Place the mixture in a bowl then cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
6. Meanwhile preheat a pan to a low heat and add coconut oil.
7. On a floured surface, roll out the mixture in to 3 parts. (You can make your flatbreads bigger or smaller but the cooking time will be altered as a result).
8. Once rolled press in the chopped pieces of garlic and sprinkle with seeds and herbs.
9. Add the flatbreads to the pan and place a lid on top of the flatbreads not the pan (in order to do this the lid with need to be smaller than the pan).
10. Once slightly browned flip and cook on the other side.
Optional butter topping (but obligatory if you want full on tastiness):
11. In a pan on a low heat melt the butter then stir in then crushed garlic and herbs of coriander and parsley.
12. Once melted brush the mixture on the flatbreads before serving.
13. If serving later omit topping with the butter mixture. Instead when it comes to serving top the flatbreads with the butter mixture then heat them in the oven on a low heat for 7 minutes.
What do you think of this recipe? What did you serve with your garlic flatbreads? Let us know in the comments below and tag us with the #veggievagabonds on social media! Big Love!