Spicy and flavourful vegan camping tacos recipe with sweet potato and black beans
When you’re in the mood for something spicy with a bit of a twist, this vegan camping tacos recipe will scratch that itch.
Just because you’re camping, it doesn’t mean you want the same old sachet of bland food come dinner time. These campfire tacos are just the ticket to spice things up.
The flavourful sweet potato and black bean filling is delicious crammed in a crispy taco and served with a good dollop of cooling guac. Add a little sprinkling of vegan cheese and you’ve got a party of flavours and textures in your mouth.
The recipe is ideal for the outdoors as it’s simple to make in less than 15 minutes. Just what you want after a day of trudging up hills.
Best Vegan Taco Recipe for the Camp Stove
This recipe is great for when you fancy something a little different from the camp stove. The taco filling is pretty simple to make using just one pot but stuffing that in a crispy taco and topping, makes dinner a lot more exciting.
One-pot meals are a winner when camping as they’re easy to conjure up and means there’s less to tidy up afterwards.
The taco filling is flavourful and spicy, which warms your cockles come nightfall. Black beans, sweet potato and red pepper are full of nutrients and vitamins to shovel into your taco shell. All together along with the optional extra of guacamole and cheese, there’s a smorgasbord of flavours and textures. Turning the one-pot wonder into a culinary camping feast.
We think you’ll love this camping taco recipe as much as us because it’s:
- Incredibly delicious
- Easy to make
- Packed with goodness and protein
- A party of flavours and textures in your mouth
Want more vegan adventure food guides, recipes and inspo? Sign up for our newsletter to get our latest articles
How to Make Vegan Tacos on the Camp Stove
1) Begin by heating some oil in a pan whilst you finely chop your onion. Then add the onion to the pan and stir every now and again until it starts to soften.
2) Chop your sweet potato into small chunks and once the onion has cooked for about 3 minutes, add your sweet potato to the pan. Stir every now and again so it doesn’t stick.
3) Allow this to cook for another 3 minutes, then add your crushed and chopped garlic to the pot and stir.
4) Next add your chopped red pepper and tomatoes and stir occasionally.
5) Then add your tin of black beans, herbs, seasoning and stock cube to the pot. If you’re using fresh lime, add the juice from half of it to the pan then stir it all together.
6) Let the pot cook for about 5 minutes so the beans can soften and all the flavours infuse. Stir occasionally so it cooks evenly. In the meantime, prepare your guacamole if you’re using it. Spoon out the avocado and mash with a fork. Add a pinch of salt and the juice of one-quarter of lime and give it another smash together.
7) Then you’re ready to serve. Grab your taco shell and load it up with the sweet potato and black bean filling, followed by a good dollop of guacamole on top. Finally, a little sprinkling of vegan cheese if you’re using it. Tuck in and enjoy!
Tips and Ideas to Perfect Your Vegan Campfire Tacos
The two biggest priorities when it comes to vegan camping dinners are taste and ease. You want to make food that is scrumptious yet easy after a day in the outdoors. So, here are a few tips to make the ultimate camping tacos:
- If you’re tight on space and weight, omit the fresh onion and garlic and substitute for garlic and onion powder.
- Like it spicy? Add more chilli flakes or some fresh chillies to garnish and crank up the heat.
- If you’re on a multi-day trip or heading off-road you can omit the guacamole, as avocados notoriously don’t travel as well.
- I used cherry tomatoes for this recipe but you substitute for any type of tomatoes, or you can use a small tin of chopped tomatoes at 227grams.
- Black beans or black-eyed beans work best for this recipe but you can substitute them for another bean if they’re hard to get your mitts on.
- Feeling fancy? You can garnish your tacos with grated vegan cheese, sliced jalapenos or even some fresh coriander.
- This recipe works great with red pepper as it adds an element of sweetness to this dish. You can easily substitute for another colour of pepper however if red isn’t available.
- Our top tip for recipes is to make the herb mix at home, then you can just put it in the pan when you cook. It saves on fiddly measuring when you’re cooking and means you can double up if you’re on a multi-day trip and what tacos more than once. Who wouldn’t want that?
Tasty Vegan Camping Tacos
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 150 grams cherry tomatoes
- 1 tin black beans – 400 gram tin
- 1 red pepper
- 1 stock cube
- pinch salt
- ¾ tsp brown sugar
- 5 taco shells – we ate about 2 ½ tacos each
Taco Herb Seasoning
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli flakes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- 60 grams grated vegan cheese
- Begin by heating some oil in a pan, then add finely chopped onion. Cook for about 3 minutes until it's slightly softened.
- Then add your sweet potato cut into small chunks and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring ocassionally.
- Next, add your crushed and chopped garlic, followed by the red pepper cut into chunks and chopped tomatoes.
- Then add your tin of black beans, the herb mixture, salt, stock cube, sugar and the juice of half a lime. Stir everything together so the flavours can infuse.
- Allow that to cook for 5 minutes and in the meantime prepare your guacamole. Smash the avocado with the juice of ¼ lime and a pinch of salt.
- Then load up your taco shells with the taco filling, guacamole and grated cheese. Enjoy!